Monday, 21 August 2017

Robin Round Two - Solid Teal-ometry

Round Robin Quilt, Puppilalla, Solids, Modern Quilt Design, Starter Block, Color Wheel, Patchwork, Foundation Paper Piecing





Welcome back to the Rakish Needle Round Robin. I cannot wait to show you what I have been working on. 

This round I got to work with Rachel’s starter block that had already been expanded upon beautifully by Ileana. (see below =) Rachel was looking for geometrical shapes and solids / tone-in-tone fabrics that read as solids. She also provided inspiring and fun sample pictures of quilt borders she liked. The aspect Rachel liked the most was the sense of movement that those borders conveyed. I though about that but decided that you needed a solid foundation before you could start adding this style of borders. True to that decision a whole yard of a teal solid went into making my additions. =)



Round Robin Quilt, Puppilalla, Solids, Modern Quilt Design, Starter Block, Color Wheel, Patchwork, Foundation Paper Piecing



The Inspiration Piece...




Checking my Instagram feed, I came across this picture of a #decohexpattern project, which sparked a ‘I-can-do-something-with-this’ reaction immediately. I bookmarked the entry and from there it took me 10 minutes to hash out what I wanted to do with Rachel’s top. I sat down with pen and paper to draw up my idea as a paper piecing template. It looked like hot mess but worked just fine. 


Round Robin Quilt, Puppilalla, Solids, Modern Quilt Design, Starter Block, Color Wheel, Patchwork, Foundation Paper Piecing


A New Block Design...

Round Robin Quilt, Puppilalla, Solids, Modern Quilt Design, Starter Block, Color Wheel, Patchwork, Foundation Paper Piecing













I designed a new block. What do you think? What shall we call it? Suggestions please. =)
I like how it looks and maybe I ought to add 'drawing it up as a template proper' to my ever-growing-never-ending to-do list for the future.

I then used the hexie blocks as ‘corner stones’ of my addition. I build on the idea of geometrical shapes but tried to keep it fun. I love how it looks even if some of the pieces turned out more wonky than I would have liked. 


Round Robin Quilt, Puppilalla, Solids, Modern Quilt Design, Starter Block, Color Wheel, Patchwork, Foundation Paper Piecing

Cohesion, cohesion, cohesion

Cohesion was easy to maintain this round. I just adopted colours from the colour wheel of the starter block, namely teal, yellow and purple and worked away with those. I also incorporated some colour graduation - or ombre effect if you prefer that term – with the different shades of purple and with the hexagons that have echoes in different shades of teal. So colour graduation too ties right back to the starter block. Very thoughtful right? =)

As soon as I had seen what Ileana had done before me, I wanted to retain the colourful barber pole candy stripes, so I made sure to add some as well. I think the quilt top so far overall really still looks as if one person had created the entire piece.



The Rakish Needle Robin, Round Robin Quilt, Puppilalla, Solids, Modern Quilt Design, Starter Block, Color Wheel, Patchwork, Foundation Paper Piecing


I had anticipated that we would need about six weeks for each of the initial robin rounds with the view to gradually extend the time frames. I had hoped to wrap up the round robin by end of November. That schedule is way out of the window. This second round robin round needed 3 months to be completed! As always there are some super fast participants and then some, whose life circumstances do not afford them the amount of time they ideally would like to dedicate to their sewing projects. 

And then there is the question of sewing mojo. I for example had a serious slump of motivation those past few weeks. Not because of this project, which I love and remain super excited about, but because of the beginning of Summer (or what wished to pass for it here in Berlin, rain, rain, rain – meh). I knew I would be tempted away from my sewing machine once the weather begged you to come outside and play. I suppose as long as everyone is still enjoying the round robin, the sedate pace should not be a problem. I am just secretly worried though that some members might get bored while others get stressed because they feel pressured. Yes, I tend to worry.

Back to this lovely piece. Unfortunately, Rachel quite likes how it looks, so I do not get to keep it - the more's the pity. =)

Next up I will be working with Karin's nightly firmament. Incidentally, Karin will be working on my piece at the same time. I guess we could hold each other to ransom to try to get a word in design wise - ha ha.









3 comments:

  1. I like how this piece is evolving, nice work Karin! Looking forward to working with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree on the sewing mojo theme - not because of summer here but because of overflowing todo lists and way to little calm down time. Working on a "must" project like your round robin or in my case the improvblocks I learnt is not my thing.

    Like your result and hope that all your participants can still enjoy the "slower" process.

    BTW your additon once again looks really fun. It's always interesting to see how you come to your "round". Love that you included some more candy stripes. Pulls it together well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new block suggests peacock feathers to me...maybe "peacock eyes"? A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete